The department/programme/institute will be located online on a learning management system platform that has adequate facilities for all participants to:
- project themselves socially and affectively,
- find, connect, and communicate with each other, both spontaneously and in more organised and scheduled ways, via a variety of media, including forums, chat, private messaging, email, audio and video conferencing, and WebRTC, and
- organise, arrange, and schedule themselves, and be organised, arranged, and scheduled into learning and practising cohorts in order to participate in authentic academic practice tasks and activities.
An essential part of establishing the department/programme/institute is for all participants, both novices and more proficient practitioners, to cultivate a shared sense of community, identity, and purpose as online academic practitioners and to establish and build equitable, trusting, supportive relationships with each other.
Participants in the department/programme/institute will require access to “sandbox” versions of some of the resources, tools, software, databases, learning management systems, audio, video, and screen-sharing web conferencing systems, i.e. where there is little or no consequence for making mistakes and breaking things, that they will be expected to use in the course of their academic practice at the college or university. In order to develop their knowledge, skills, and abilities, practitioners will require the time and space to explore and experiment with the tools and platforms that they will be using (Boling et al., 2014). Developing such knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficiently and adequately can take several months (Nist & Simpson, 2002).
As far as possible, the platforms, tools, software, etc. should be the same as or as close as possible to those used in the rest of the college or university.
- Programme Aims and Objectives
- Organisational Structure and Context
- Programme Participants
- The Cognitive Apprenticeship Model
- Example Activities/Tasks
- Programme Delivery and Integration
- Evaluation and Assessment
- Participant Support: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions for Psychological Change
- The Programme as an Agent of Change